Sunday, March 26, 2006

I've been bad...

I spent the weekend inadvertently watching romantic comedies. I’m such a sucker for them, although I may occasionally try to deny it and say I only really like good independent films and action films. Truth is, the romantic in me loves to see people fall in love and get their happy ending, or their version of it.

It started Friday night with “My Best Friend’s Wedding.” Those of you close to me know I shouldn’t watch this film right now, for so many reasons. But I couldn’t help myself. I love Rupert Evert in that film. Without him, might not have been as good. But when Dermot Mulroney and Julia Roberts are dancing on the boat, my heart broke. When he chooses Kimmy, my heart broke again. But in the end, Julia accepts her loss and gets her own kind of happy ending. I hope, if I should find myself in that situation, I would be able to handle myself with such dignity. I’d probably throw things at the bride and be escorted out by burly groomsmen.

Then today, as I collapsed on the couch after too many hours of production stuff, I caught the last part of “You’ve Got Mail.” Not my favorite RC. Meg Ryan was just getting to the point where she was too old to play that cutsie, nose-wrinkling kind of charming that she’s known for. And the script really wasn’t that good. I still prefer “In The Good Ole Summertime” with Van Johnson and Judy Garland. But there were points that made me wish and sigh. If I started chatting with someone online, they’d probably end up being one of the perverts that my friend, Del, busts on “Perverted Justice.”

But watching these made me acknowledge that, despite all of my protestations and all my single woman power crap, I want to be in love and loved back. And my current situation ties my hands and makes me a bit crazy.

So I should be punished and allowed to watch nothing but action films, sci-fi and films by David Fincher for the next month to repent for my indulgence of late. I did stop myself Friday from watching “While You Were Sleeping” for the umpteenth time so maybe I’m not that bad.

Maybe it’s spring. Maybe it’s watching the friends who have recently found someone to love. Maybe it’s wanting someone who is so near, yet not accessible. Maybe it’s hormones.

I had decided Friday to bide my time and see what the universe has in store for myself and the OOMA. That lasted till some time today, so that’s not too bad. About 24 hours. I still am not as crazed about it as I can be, but maybe a little wistful. Or wishful. I want him to come up to me as the music swells and… anyway, I’ve done this blog before so I’ll stop there.

I must make a pledge. No more romantic comedies until after the shoot. Gonna be hard since “Truth About Cats and Dogs” has so much the feel that I want the film to have. I may have to watch that one for research so that one doesn’t count. And “One Fine Day” because there’s this scene with… okay, never mind. No pledge. I’ll just try not to indulge too much, which shouldn’t be hard as I should be too busy making my own film to watch any other ones.

For now, I’ll enjoy the warm fuzzies the RC’s give me and hang on to the probably silly hope that my situation will end in my own version of the RC, which, the way my life works, could be quite interesting on its own. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

No comments: