Saturday, January 14, 2006

They have us all fooled...

Men.

I keep hearing “men are stupid”, “men don’t get it”, “men don’t read signals well”, “men don’t know when women are interested in them.”

What a crock.

I personally think that men are sitting around, laughing their asses off, knowing they have us all believing that they’re incompetent and stupid and clueless. We have given them carte blanche to behave like idiots, ignore our feelings and generally behave like morons.

Take for example the recent object of my affection. Clueless to being said object, or at least that’s what we all figure. Even one of my friends commented, “Doesn’t he read your blogs? How could he not know?” Then came the infamous refrain – guess he’s just stupid. Some day I’ll blog about the last 24 hours when I have some distance on it. Again, though, the excuse – guess he’s too stupid to realize what he’s doing. After all, he’s a guy and they’re stupid about these things.

Bullshit. We let them get away with it because we never call them on it. At least not in the early stages. We don’t let them get away with these things after a relationship is underway but we let them get away with murder beforehand.

We should not let them do this. We should just stop them. Call them on it and say, hey, you know what, you’ve strung me along for months and sent out all these signals and just when I think things are going one way, you change directions and leave me hanging there. And don’t give me crap about not sending out signals, not knowing there was interest there. Men use the signals excuse when they want to hit on a girl – “hey, she was giving me signals, man” – but not when the signals are coming from them.

By allowing men to get away with the “men are stupid” thing, it absolves them of the responsibility of being involved in a relationship from the beginning. It absolves them from having to be responsible for our feelings from the get-go instead of from when they decide to actually commit to us. It allows them to not commit to us until they are good and ready.

I think it’s time to stop the madness. Guys, we’re on to you. We don’t buy that you’re that stupid. We buy that you’re that afraid. But we know you’re not that stupid.

So just say to us, “We don’t know what we want, we’re confused about who we want, we’re confused about why we want who we want. We’re afraid to tell you that we’re interested in you because then that means you know how we feel.” Then maybe we’ll really know how smart you are.

1 comment:

Paula S. said...

Wow!

I do think some men are clueless, but only because they're too lazy to be aware. As a woman, I'm almost as clueless as some men, so I understand.

However, there are some men who are too astute about *every* other aspect of life to be, as you said, *that* stupid.

And yes, being able to read signals on a blog should make things easier, but most men are used to being "unaware", "insensitive" and "stupid", so really, can't fault one for owning his manhood, eh?

I look forward to your reflective post about the situation.

Take care,

Paula