And the religious right has the country so brain-washed and themselves so brain-washed that I felt I had to do something. Roe V. Wade is not about abortion. It’s about a woman’s right to privacy, for her and her doctors to be the ones making decisions about her health, not the government. It’s about my right to take birth control so that I can choose when to have children and when not to. It’s about my right to education about birth control, fertility, and, yes, abortion, if I need it. It even overlaps into sex education for our children because the religious right have associated Roe V Wade with sex education and teaching children about abortion.

So instead of giving our children the information they need to make smart choices and not use abortion as birth control, they have created an environment of ignorance with Abstinence Only education that will lead to more and more low income women turning to abortion for just that purpose. It’s about my right to go to Target and insist that they fill my prescription for birth control but it’s not up to the pharmacist to make that choice for me. If you cannot fill a prescription written out by a doctor, then you should not be a pharmacist. As a woman who struggled with infertility for years and was told that our medical only covered part of the treatment because my inability to have children was not considered a “disability” and didn’t affect the quality of my life. Whereas, apparently, an 87-year-old man’s inability to have an erection is a “disability” and affects the quality of his life. I’d say an 87-year-old man on Viagra affects an 87-year-old woman’s quality of life – as she runs into her room and locks the door!
It’s about my right to keep my medical records private from an attorney general in Kansas who wants Planned Parenthood and other clinics to turn over their patient records so they can find out which 16-year-old girls are having abortions or requesting birth control so that the attorney general can arrest the men/boys these girls have been sleeping with because it’s statutory rape. Huh? Because apparently the only way these girls are getting pregnant is by being held hostage and raped. Oops, sorry, my soapbox got out and I couldn’t help getting on it.
2. Okay, off the soapbox now. Feeling somewhat productive as I finally seem to be getting things moving on “Cinderella Drives A Pick-Up.” If you’re on Myspace, check it out at http://www.myspace.com/cinderelladrivesapickup, although I’ve already added most of you as friends already. I’ve got a half-assed website started (http://www.coupleoffools.com/cinderella) which I hope to flesh out this week. Just wait, the requests for money to help make this film will be coming!
3. Dad’s fine. He’s home, resting up, recuperating. His pacemaker is pacing and he’s making my mother crazy, as usual. Glad to have him around for a while longer.
4. Trying to figure out where a 43-year-old, overweight, twice-divorced woman goes to meet men. I’ve been living at the Ark for so long, it hasn’t left me a whole lot of options on meeting guys. Hmmm, must consider possibilities. Bigfoot? Ewwww. Big, hairy, tattooed men wearing black. Um, no, thanks. Koji’s? Creepy Johnny Depp wanna-be (oh, no, he’s engaged). Too hip for the room hip hop guys. That weird bunch of guys that hang out and stare at you as you sing. Yeah, those are the kinda guys I’m looking for. Maybe I’ll try Trader Joe’s in Toluca Lake or hang out at the Laundromat. Maybe start a new group called “Voluptuous, divorced and desperate.” Yeah, that’ll bring on the guys.
5. Oh, yeah, my divorce is final in 20 days. Not that I’m counting.
6. And speaking of divorce, no longer finding the ex’s attempts at sympathy and compassion all that charming anymore. It was nice the first day or two because I really needed some warmth and compassion. Now that he’s calling every time something happens, such I didn’t go to an memorial service for my neighbor’s best friend as I was too wiped out from dealing with my father, he called to see if I was okay. And he’s been doing a lot of that. If only he had thought of that more often when I was, oh, I don’t know, suicidal, that may have kept our marriage alive. Now, it just annoys the shit out of me.
7. Learning to just let things be. I tend to want to push things and shape them the way I want them. It makes life very frustrating because others don’t necessarily play along with that. So I’m trying to not make big deals out of little situations and trying not to read too much into little things that probably don’t mean much. Damn, what am I going to do with all that time I’ll save by not obsessing? Maybe be productive.
8. Hoping my dear friend finds her way through a relationship minefield right now and hope she knows I’m there for whatever she needs. It’s hard not to push and make her do what I think is best for her. She needs to find it for herself. I just need to stand by with the net to catch her when she falls.
So that’s everything in my head tonight. Not a lot and, yet, a whole bunch. Just had to do a brain dump to make some room. Until next time…
No comments:
Post a Comment