Friday, November 18, 2005

Disappiontment haunted all my dreams...

I love deeply and passionately, whether it’s as a friend or a lover. I, foolishly, I expect that same kind of devotion back. The I’d-take-a-bullet-for-you kind of devotion.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t exist. Most people won’t take a bullet for you, or even rock the boat when required. I get passionate about friends when something happens to them and I immediately want to run out and make it right. I want to help them, save them, abolish all their pain. So I expect that much back.

The problem with high expectations is that no one can live up to them. I can’t. But that doesn’t stop me from expecting everyone else to.

I think that is one of the biggest problems in my relationships. I tend to connect over-passionately to friends, lovers, companions. I want to know everything, be involved in everything, share everything. I want to stand by you and fight the good fight – or the dirty fight as necessary. And I expect you to take up arms with me when the world has turned dark and cold and the battle has begun.

But the taking up of arms has long since lost its glamour and friends and lovers don’t want to be out in the dark and cold. They’re happy to send you out and say, yay, you’re going out into the dark and cold. Good for you. You’ll learn so much about yourself. Yeah, mainly that you’re stupid enough to go out into the dark and cold alone.

So I find myself, more often than not, screaming in frustration at the lack of support around me. I find myself crushed with disappointment when my level of expectation is not even approached. I find myself hurt as friend after friend and lover after lover (well, maybe not that many of them as there have been so few) find an excuse to say goodbye. Or, better yet, find a way to break my spirit and shatter my soul before they leave then step on the carcass on their way out.

Wow, that’s awful, people say. You should just ignore that and just go on. That’s what you should do. Oh, we’re not going to do anything about the fact that you’ve been shattered other than offer you words of comfort and some distant compassion.

I want you to be outraged with me. I want you to be angry with me. I want you to storm the castle gates and cry “battle” and slay the stupid son-of-a-bitch (or bitch, depending) that bruised my soul and wounded my pride. I want you to share in the feast afterwards (particularly fond of French toast a 3 AM type of feast) and trade battle stories and reflect on the good we have done. I want you to feel my pain, my sorrow, my anger, my grief and not tell me it’s going to be a helpful thing for me in the future.

But, as I have learned and continue to learn, that won’t happen. So I guess I’ll have to learn to lower my expectations and live with a life less than. Or keep the expectations high and just cut those who don’t meet them. That will leave a very narrow field, if any left at all. But which is worse? Cutting the loss or keeping the pain? Hard to know the difference sometimes.

3 comments:

alfredblog said...

I would say that you, more than any person I know out here, has an incredibly strong support system. Perhaps their views of support differ than that of yours, but they love you, regardless.
You talk alot about your disappointment with people, with your friends. Maybe they don't view the world through your eyes, but they DO care.
I assume something went wrong with your french toast, for certainly you are crashing from a sugar high and not serious about your feelings here.
anyways, love and all that usual stuff.
xo

Midlife Virgin said...

All I know is that it is dark and lonely out here right now and there is no one around.

Tiffany said...

I understand your feelings here very much. It's been a recurring theme in my life as well... But I would say this...I think you DO have a lot of people around who love you and want to support you, and maybe they just need to know what you need. I think that not all people are the emotional creatures that we are, and would rather be left alone or given words of comfort and then left alone in times of crisis. I know, I think it's wierd too, being the person who is completely the opposite...but true. So, maybe your friends just need a little pushing...cause I'm sure they all want to be there for you. So, next time, call them and tell them you want french toast at 3 am...and watch them come through. If not, you can waste away on the couch with me anytime...I have ice cream cake and chips with french onion dip, and I'm more than willing to share! Love you!