Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Zadra Therapy Camp

Zadra is one of my best friends who has been supporting me and taking care of me for the past couple of months. She’s the one who’s always there when I need someone to yell/cry/bitch at/to/with. Here’s what I’ve learned from a month on Zadra’s various couches.

1. Zadra’s very smart.

2. Chihuahuas are cute.

3. It’s okay to love, no matter what, no matter who. Even if it’s someone you have no business loving, won’t go anywhere, is not at all returned. It just shows your heart and soul are still alive and that you can feel love and passion, even when it’s not returned, even when it’s not where it should be. Love is love, period.

4. You get to think about yourself sometimes. Not a good thing if that’s all you think about. But when you’re in pain and you don’t know why, taking the time to look inward and then say outwardly, hey, I’m in pain, that’s okay.

5. Sitting silently with your best friend, watching a movie and eating popcorn is therapy.

6. There is always another side. I don’t always want there to be but there is. And you have to occasionally consider that.

7. I deserve to be happy and embrace my talents, wants and needs.

8. Colors are fun.

9. Fear is only as large as you make it. It can be the size of a movie screen on Fairfax or as small as singing karaoke.

10. Cats are smarter than we are sometimes.

11. Make the best of now. It may not be what you want forever, but you can look at today and say, this is good, this is working fine, I think I’ll hang out a while and see where it goes.

12. Shopping cures just about everything.

13. Fun is just that -- fun. Embrace it, enjoy it and do it often.

14. I’ve learned a lot about growth watching Zadra over the past few years leave behind her old self and discover and follow her new self. Being around her so much lately has let me see how much of a new self she has and makes me look forward to the new self I will find somewhere in the near future.

15. I am grateful for this friendship.

No comments: