Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Lessons at 43

1. I never learned how to do a really good hair/head toss. You know, that thing girls seem to do all the time lately to seem flirty - toss their long, usually golden blond over their shoulder in that slo-mo Denise Richards way. Never got the hang of that. Course, I grew up in the ‘80’s and there was too much hairspray going around to actually toss your hair. Also, my hair is currently more k.d. lang than Denise Richards, so I’d probably just throw my neck out anyway.

2. Being cute stops being cute at 25. At 26, you’re starting to look kind of dumb more than cute. By 30, you’re looking ridiculous but nobody really will say anything. At 35, people will actually cringe if you try to be cute. At 43, nothing and no one is cute. I, however, never considered myself cute so I guess I skipped all that.

3. There is a reason karaoke bars serve beer and a reason why it’s so much fun to go to them and not drink beer.

4. I like being up until 2 AM. Just for fun. Because I can.

5. Men are boys all their lives.

6. I couldn’t be with someone who uses the adjective “hot” to describe anything other than food or the weather.

7. I like being treated like a girl. Sometimes. I like having the door opened and having someone walk me to my car. I like having drinks bought for me, even if it’s only by friends. I like chivalry and more guys should look that word up. I like being told when I look good because sometimes, believe it or not, I really need to hear it. I like to have guys pick up heavy things and carry them for me. I especially like when they treat me like a girl and won’t let me lift heavy things and carry them. I’m embarrassed to admit this but it’s true.

8. I would give a year’s salary to be able to get into a leather miniskirt again -- and not be embarrassing.

9. Single and alone at 43 bites.

No comments: