Sunday, June 25, 2006

48 Hour Film Project

Couldn’t be happier

Nothing makes me happier than working with my own little rep group. I made a 48 Hour Film Project today. Draw a genre Friday night, get a few key elements that must be used, then shoot, edit and finish it by 7:30 Sunday night.

Okay, so I just made a feature in eight days, this should be easy.

And it was. Of course, I had an exceptional crew who read my mind, actors who did their homework and came prepared, crew who unexpectedly became actors when I screwed up scheduling, and actors who crewed in between their scenes.

What I really understood and took away from today was that these are people who are not concerned with their own egos. They come to work on the project, not see how good they can make themselves look regardless of everything else. They are willing to run an errand, grab a boom, get someone a bottle of water who’s been working really hard. They checked their egos at the door and came to play. Joy abounded, even as Lindsay, Zadra and Tricia were tortured in leather jackets – black leather, no less – in 100 degree temperatures in Glendale. Chairman sacrificing his body for his art by lying for hours on the hot cement. Erik, Patty Jean and Monica stepping into roles they were not cast in and handling it all with such grace and professionalism. Peter, always a joy to work with, is a blessing as both cast and crew. Tricia made a lovely addition to the troupe, along with Michelle and Zadra. The crew was amazing – Beth Wallan, my gifted DP who I truly adore working with, Paula coming in at the last second and being so generous with her time and food. Justice for tagging along with Michelle and making himself more than useful then not wanting credit for his contribution. Gosh, I know I’m missing someone, I always do. I’m sorry if I did. I’m tired and loopy from the margarita we had after we finished.

There are probably still teams of the 48HFP running around right now, trying to finish filming. My film sits happily in the camera, waiting for me to free it.

This is the greatest joy of my life, being able to make these films, being able to direct the projects I am and will be doing, and being able to work with my best friends and the most talented people on earth.

Please feel free to check out photos of today’s shoot at:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=9afd3ld.q9k7lct&x=1&y=54bym3

They’re not all up so I hope to add to this in the next day or so. If you’re around Wednesday at 9:30, come see “The Weight of the Word,” a political drama about free speech set in the not too distant present. It’s screening at the Laemelle Fairax and info is available at http://www.48hourfilm.com.

Thanks again to those generous, talented and egoless souls who came to share with me today. I can’t wait to show you what your hard work has done. I love you all very, very much.

Your humble director.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Congratulations! And good luck with editing!

Anonymous said...

I would do it again, and in a heartbeat. :)

-Patty

Anonymous said...

I second what Patty said!!! Love ya, and look forward to the next "play date" :)