Thursday, February 02, 2006

Blatant self-promotion

Dear friends and family:

"Cinderella Drives A Pick-Up" began almost 20 years ago with my sister, Cindy, writing down a few pages about the end her first marriage. Discouraged about the reality of "happily ever after," she and I began talking about and mocking the fairy tales and myths that most little girls grow up with. I added my two cents, as I was nearing the end of my first marriage. That grew into a book, "Cinderella Drives A Pick-Up And Wears Chuck Taylors" that cobbled together our thoughts, views, opinions and experiences with things such Prince Charming and Wicked Stepmothers.

The book was never published and Cindy and I moved on with our lives -- her to two more marriages (the current one seems to be just right), and me to the end of my second marriage.

In the meantime, I have been working hard on establishing myself as a director both in theater and film, working with such prestigious institutes as the American Film Institute, Slamdance, and the University of Southern California. I have been working most steadily with the Ark Theatre Company, directing seven productions over three years, including the critically acclaimed “Lloyd’s Prayer” (LA Weekly Pick of the Week).

In continuing my relationship with the Ark, I will be directing and producing a motion picture version of “Cinderella Drives a Pick-Up,” working from my own screenplay, based on the book written by myself and my sister. My co-producers on this project are Paul Wagar, artistic director of the Ark Theatre Company, and Chairman Barnes, a frequent collaborator of mine. The motion picture is about two sisters, Jessie and Sam, who tread the waters of relationships with not only the myriad of men and other mythical creatures in their lives but also try to find their way down the path to a relationship with each other.

This motion picture will be produced using digital technology, the cutting edge of filmmaking. It allows for a smaller crew, faster schedule and no processing of film, all of which can keep the budget extremely reasonable. Principal photography will begin April 7, 2006. Upon completion, “Cinderella” will make the film festival and film market circuit to secure distribution.

This is where the blatant plea for money comes. I am looking to raise about $25,000 to cover all the production expenses. This is relatively inexpensive, thanks to digital technology. Any amount that can be contributed will help greatly with getting this project made -- $10, $25, $100, $1,000. I’ll take your money any way you care to give it. For details about how to contribute, please see the website – http://www.cinderelladrivesapickup.com.

Contributors of $100 or more will receive a copy of the soundtrack for “Cinderella,” which includes music from some of the best independent artists in Los Angeles and New York – Vertigo Road, Jeddrah, Nellie Bly, Deena Rubinson, Alison Pipitone and Annaliese Schiersch. The soundtrack will be available for purchase on our website, http://www.cinderelladrivesapickup.com, and you can find more information about each artist on the website as well.

Contributors of $500 or more will receive the soundtrack as well as a “thank you” in the end credits of the film. If you wish to contribute a substantial amount, please contact me directly and we can discuss your contribution.

If you are interested in participating in the production as a crew member or perhaps contributing your time or tangible goods (feeding cast and crew, providing a location, etc.), please contact me and I will figure out how to best use the resources you have to offer.

Thank you for your support of my past endeavors and for your continuing support of this project. I can be reached at (818) 512-3480 if you have additional questions, or by email at lifeonitsside@earthlink.net.

Yours truly,


Susan Lee
Producer/Director/Writer
Life On Its Side Productions
http://www.cinderelladrivesapickup.com
http://www.myspace.com/cinderelladrivesapickup

No comments: