What is it about us that makes us unable to actually tell people how we feel about them?
In lengthy conversations with my roommate, I keep hearing both of us saying variations on the fact that we don’t feel that we can actually tell someone how we feel about them romantically. There are a myriad of reasons why and it always ends up that there is something that stops us from saying what we feel.
‘
Why is that? I know that, in my own recent experience, the thing that I keep telling myself is, “I’m not ready for a relationship right now” or “I just don’t want to really get involved yet, I’m just getting out of a 16 year relationship.” And, you know what, that’s bullshit. It comes down to this – I think we’re all afraid to say that we love someone in the fear that they’re not going to love us back. It’s that simple. If I go up to a particular person who I want to tell how much I care about them and they don’t respond in the same way, I’ll be crushed. No matter how much I may say I can handle anything they might say, no matter how much I claim to subscribe to Zadra’s theory that to love anyone without expectation is great, I want something back.
If I’m going to hang myself out there and say, “I think I might be in love with you” or “I think I’m developing these feelings for you,” I definitely want something back. I spent 16 years – or at least the last few years – holding back my emotions, holding back my feelings, holding back so many things because there was nothing coming back to me. I don’t want to put myself out there again and throw myself open only to have that throw deflected and tossed aside.
It’s easier for us to say, “Oh, I’m not ready, I can’t say it yet, there’s too many things we don’t have in common” and totally avoid having to place our hearts out in the open.
Why can’t we be like children and just say what’s on our mind and even feel free to express our disappointment that someone doesn’t share that feeling we have. It doesn’t mean we’re going to love that person any less. In fact, it may help to know exactly how that other person feels rather than drag on, waiting, wanting, not knowing, guessing. If we could be like children and just go up, hit the guy on the arm and say, “I love you,” and wait for them to hit us back, it’d be so much easier. Okay, so we’d all be bruised a little more but better a bruise on the arm than looking back and going, “Why didn’t I hit him on the arm that night?” and agonizing over whether or not that was “the moment” and that we missed it.
Does that mean I’m going to change my ways? Probably not. I’m not going to go up and start punching arms, although that might be fun. But I do think I need to start investigating whether the feelings that crop up are real or just imagined loneliness rearing its ugly head. Because I would like to get to the arm punching stage eventually. In the meantime, I’ll just adore from a distance and hope that the other person has developed arm-punching telepathy.
1 comment:
One of the mantras that I dedicated my life to after my wife had left me was "live outside of your comfort zone". It was one of the hardest social experiments I have ever done, but the places it has taken me on my path to personal growth is amazing. I believe that the only way that we develop as individuals is to derail our lives from the tracks that we have subconsciously set our trains of thought upon. The trick is to swallow hard, suck in your courage, and take the plunge. If you hit the obstacle hard enough, and hold your pride in-check, the sting that may result isn't as bad as you had convinced yourself that it was going to be.
It was difficult at first. The fear of rejection is universal and the pain of rejection stings us all ...but it does get easier.
There have been a couple of times since my divorce where I developed feelings for someone and mustered up the courage to tell them, only to be rejected. But in all of those situation these ladies were also my friends that cared about me enough and let me down easy. Of course it stung at first, but at least then I knew where I stood.
I am really enjoying your blog so far and I am slowly working my way through it since the beginning. Your heartbreak takes me back to where I was after my divorce and I am finding it a bit cathartic. I am sorry that you had to go through it though.
Post a Comment