Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Poem - now don't cringe...

This was written just after the "war" in Iraq started. A radio station was holding a "Hugs From Home" and you bring in donations to send to the troops. I brought a bunch of stuff from friends and make this incredibly young woman who inspired this. So bear with me for this moment and do with it as you will:


the face of war
will always be
twenty-four
female
freckled
tanned
blond
too young to bear this
maybe too young to understand this
three year old by her side
cut offs
middy top
clutching a list of names
saying, please write to them
talking about her fiance
and her ex-husband
too young to have either
please tell them thank you, she pleads,
that’s all they want to hear
she smiles as they pack
toothpaste
mouthwash
baby wipes
boxes to go
to the list she clutches
given by strangers
handled by strangers
going to strangers
now
there are no strangers to me
they will all have her face
whenever I hear about fallen soldiers
whenever I hear about loved ones at home
whenever I hear our fearless leader is sending more
they will all be her
blond
tanned
freckled
female
twenty-four
alone

1 comment:

Dewtattoo said...

I agree with Dean on this one. That was very moving.