In exploring with friends about obtaining a tattoo, Shelley sent me a link to “Inked,” an A&E show that features people getting tattoos at a shop in Vegas, with apparently some amazing tattoo artists. I’ve watched the show a couple of times and am always fascinated by why people choose the icons they choose and the inner workings of the shop.
So I sent them a very short, Reader’s Digest version of my recent life and they asked me to come in and interview. Well, today I went in for the casting session. I wore my lucky Supergirl underwear (didn’t tell them that part) and my sassy Santana red boots, my “destiny” necklace and “om mani padme ohm” bracelet. The tattoo would be those two images wrapped around my left wrist.

They thought my story about my life – the ex’s false arrest, my depression, my suicidal night, my mid-life crisis on the whole – was fascinating and just the kind of story they want to tell. So it looks like I’m going to Vegas some time soon to get my tattoo on TV.
It’s just strange to me, to consider telling my story on television. It feels freeing and frightening both at the same time. I think it’s important to share my story, that’s why I keep blogging, because it seems to touch people and maybe might reach someone else going through the same thing I went through. And maybe this is a continuation of that.
The main thing I want to avoid is painting the ex as a frightening, overbearing control freak. I have to find a way to share some of that without him coming off as an ass, although I think he has that tendency sometimes. And I certainly want to make sure that my friends and my support system get some of the credit for where I am today.
The symbols are important to me for a couple of reasons. Destiny, for me, is why I have changed everything in my life. I feel I have a path in front of me, although sometimes it is a little blurry where it is. Destiny is why I sacrificed so many things, so much of my life. Om mani padme ohm is a chant for blessing and enlightenment, both of which I need every single day of my life. The two tied together will hopefully serve to remind me that there is a purpose, there is a reason, there is a goal in the long run and that, if I ask for help, for blessing, for guidance, someone will be there to help, whether it’s one of my usual support team or just whoever is driving my life. To remind me that sometimes you have to let things go and just trust.
So the mid-life adventure continues. Zadra’s hoping to tag along and be there as I do this. I would certainly welcome any company that cares to tag along and participate. Otherwise, I will let you all know when the show shoots and is televised. Maybe a tattooing screening party will have to happen.
Stay tuned/
1 comment:
He was "a frightening, overbearing control freak." The reason we saw "him coming off as an ass" is because he was one!
Why are YOU worried about 'how he comes off'? Tell the truth. People will make their own judgements. If you sugar coat, you lie . . . then, it isn't the story of your life, it's the story of someone elses, or someone's you wanted it to be.
Tell the truth.
Let 'him' worry about him.
Sister of the Virgin
Post a Comment