Well, after two weeks of training, Mission: Renaissance has unleashed me upon the children of Los Angeles – well, Valencia and Northridge, at least.
I taught my first two classes today. I thought I was just going to assist today but, no, they let me loose on a poor, unsuspecting child named Zach. Six years old. Cute but waaay to serious. Anyway, I was very nervous and a bit tentative. But Zach didn’t know I didn’t know what I was doing and he trusted me entirely. The program director kept checking on me and made a suggestion or two, but nothing terribly outrageous. At the end of an hour and a half, Zach had finished a beautifully misshapen eagle, complete with American flag background, and he grinned foolishly as he showed it off in the art show at the end of class.
Then, the program director gave me three – yes, three – students in the next class. And it was actually easier with three than one, believe it or not. Two of them were a little ADD but the young one, about five, was focused and smart and actually understood the concepts of tone and texture.
At the end of the classes, I chatted with the program director and she was very happy with what I had done. She didn’t have any suggestions for me at all, so I hope that translates to a rave review to my supervisors on Monday.
I drove home, feeling better than I had in a long time. I’ve always wanted to teach, actually. In fact, I had considered this same program several years ago but I had too much going on to actually do it. I feel confident and sure of myself, which I don’t always feel. And it’s so easy. Oh, damn. Now I’ve jinxed it.
Tomorrow, I take on the children in Northridge. Teaching from 8:30 to 3 PM, which is something like four or five classes. I’m going to be beat by the end of the day but I hope it’s as fun and fulfilling as today was.
I’m going to figure out how to create a “virtual fridge” and post some of the really sad artwork I’ve created in the past two weeks. Nothing terribly exciting – some loose sketches, some fifth grade style watercolor studies. I’m working on watercolor next week in training and have discovered I really like watercolor. I haven’t done much but the whole thing excites me. Who knows? Maybe I’ve found yet another distraction in my life!
Anyway, thought I’d share. So glad I did this. So happy that I’m doing it well.
No comments:
Post a Comment