Sunday, July 09, 2006

Why do I do this to myself? Stupid dogs.

So I’m blue, I’m feeling very lonely and I come home, lay on the floor to nap and turn the TV on since my internet is being funky. And there it is. “Must Love Dogs.” Why do I torture myself with this film? Okay, John Cusack is not enough of an excuse to keep watching this film. It’s not a great rom-com but I simply can’t help myself. Is it because I keep hoping John isn’t going to be won over by her perfect hair and unwrinkled face? Is it because the dogs are so fricking cute? Is it because I’m sick and twisted and just like to torture myself? Maybe all of the above.

Watching this fluff in between dozings, I realize that part of the draw is what draws all of us to rom-com’s. The happy ending. I want someone to pine over me and call me “a unique constellation of attributes.” I want someone to be sitting pensive, thinking about me and missing me. Because I’ve certainly spent enough time pining and pensive-ing over someone. That situation, obviously, was much more about my wanting someone than that person actually wanting me. He’s just such a lovely man and so kind and terrific to me that I couldn’t help but lose a significant part of my heart to him. Underneath it all, I think I knew it couldn’t/wouldn’t/wasn’t meant to be anything other than the very treasured friendship that it is (or was?) but I just wanted to feel that way again about someone. That warm, fuzzy, breathless, can’t-wait-to-see-him way. And I wanted someone who was happy to see me, whether it was breathless or not. So I let my rom-com ideals carry me away when it probably wasn’t there. And rather than ask him months ago when I really first felt these feelings, I didn’t because I didn’t want to lose the possibility that he’d be crazy about me. Because that’s how it works in rom-com world. Damn those stupid films.

Even as I sit at Kaldi, using their free internet, I am caught up in the idea that some cute guy is going to be taken by how charming and unique I am, sitting here, cowboy hat and vintage shirt, typing furiously away at something which must be quite clever and interesting because that’s what a woman like me would be doing. I certainly don’t look like the skinny, Hollywood, boho wannabes that hang out here. Maybe that’s the problem.

And that’s probably why drunken stupid chick got to me so much this week. I’m not 22. I can’t get away with “oops, forgot to put on underwear” because that reads like Alzheimer’s when you’re not 22, not cute, sexy, funny. Flashing my breasts only makes men laugh, politely, of course, but laugh nonetheless, other than pervert guy who took uninvited advances on the aforementioned mammaries. My attempts at feminization and flirtiness have only resulted in twisted ankles from my high heels and frustration at trying to get my hair to do something cute. And I don’t even want to get into the big mistake that buying thigh-highs is 100 degree temperature is when you don’t have size 4 thighs.

I guess I’m also still struggling to find out who I am as a single person. So much of my identity was tied into him that, even after a year, I am uncertain about the person staring back at me from my mirror. I keep trying on personas, hoping one will stick, one will make me go, oh, wow, that’s who I am.

The thing that gets me through the day is that directing makes me feel that way. I am confident, fearless and creative when I’m wearing those shoes. I guess I have to find a way to translate that into every day life and embrace that person.

I don’t know if that will result in John Cusack’s clone coming into my life and sweeping me off my feet. I don’t know if that means I’ll just deal with being alone in a better way. I don’t know what it means at all other than maybe I’ll be more comfortable with the soul of me instead of trying to figure out how to be the soul for someone else. I guess that’s the lesson in all of this. But I’m a little tired of lessons right now and would just like a pair of warm, strong arms wrapped around me while we watch something other than “Must Love Dogs.” “Kill Bill” works for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out your title. Either way it makes me laugh. :)

At times the logic in my head doesn't necessarily make me happy. I know that I don't want to be drunk stupid chick. But I find that I want the attention she gets. ... Damn.

I want attention just as much as she does. I want men to see that I'm desirable, I want to be desired. It's just that I happen to go about it by using charm and wit. She goes about it by getting drunk and stating she doesn't wear underwear.

It's a never ending cycle. Sometimes it gets me down. Sometimes I ignore it, and it's not a big deal. Sometimes I want to shake the man that I'm attracted to and say, "Hey! Don't you realize I have more to offer than the drunk chick? Don't you see that I have value?! Stop complaining all the time about how there are no good women, when I'm right here!" And then I go into my "Men are dumb" phase.

Sometimes Logic-Gal just needs a fucking break, because none of this shit makes sense.

Unknown said...

wow.........you sound like me !!
scary........
and yes, we all want the dream....we do......
keep writing, it helps with the dark clouds and many of us in the transition phase from Mother to Wise Woman deal with the dark clouds of depression.
If it helps, I think you are an 'amazing constellation of attributes'- it shines through in your writing. its only a matter of time before it becomes the general concensus of opinion.
in love & light, sweet sister
eLIzabeTh xx
http://raihndrops.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, and as much as I often say I wouldn't want the kind of guy that was shallow enough to really be swayed by that, sometimes I don't know...

What I will say though is that we really have to play our strong suits... You are an incredibly sexy woman, just not in the "I'm not wearing underwear" way. Whenever we move out of our center, we lose some power.

And if men can't see we're fabulous, then maybe we are hanging around the wrong men...