Sunday, June 24, 2007

A very long 48 hours...

...and it's not over.

Started out well. Peter went with me to the kick-off event, Dave and Monica and I had been brainstorming via internet for a few days and I even had a lunch with Perry, who got me addictd in the first place.

I drew "buddy film." Hmmmm. Actually, pretty good genre, we had a couple of things we could bend that way.

Had a delicious dinner late Friday night with Dave and Monica as we fleshed out the script, which was tentatively entitled "Double Depth". Very fun night filled with way too many movie reference, very good Italian food and a carafe of chianti. We worked until 1;30 in the morning, Monica crashing on my floor, Dave staggering home.

Got up at 7, checked out a series of locations in a nearby park. Guerilla filmmaking at its best. Until the park ranger caught us around 3:30, just as we were really getting started (another story but later) and threw us out. I was losing most of my cast around 6, so we didn't have time to find somewhere else, even though we tried. I finally made the very difficult decision to scrap the plan for the park and sent everyone on their way.

Dave, Monica and I met over near the Ark Theatre, figuring we could rewrite, everyone was willing to come back late night and film SOMETHING! So, several hours and a coffee drink or two later, we had rewritten a very good, very tight script and made it even better. Don't ask me how.

I went over to the Ark to see "Soda Pop" and waited for the cast/crew to arrive around 10:30. We got our first shot off at midnight. It's now 5:21 AM and I just got home. i have to now edit and put together a coherent film. Beth, Peter, and maybe Dave are coming by later to help finish things up. I have to turn this in by 7:30 tonight.

I hope to grab a nap in there somewhere as I am exhausted.

My crew rocked - Patty, Caroline, Erin X., Zachary, Erik, Meagan, Renae, Travis, and anyone else i missed.

I love my DP, Beth Wallan. Hire her - but only wen I don't need her.

My amazing cast - Peter Ross Stephens, one of my favorite collaborators, Tricia Pierce, wildly funny, Kerr Lordygan, who gave Tricia a run for her money in the funny department, and Erin Trainor, who jumped in at the last minute and was terrific.

Finally, possibly the best writing experience I have ever had with Monica Hafer and Dave Smith. Somehow, between movie quotes, comic book conversation and just plain silliness, we managed to find a very great script to write. I could have never written something like this on my own.

So, at this almost done point, I am once again humbled by the talent around me, grateful for the crew that surrounded me and overwhelmed by the respect and friendship shown to me.

Now, maybe I'll grab an hour's nap and try to get the edit started!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing weekend!!!

It was a pleasure working with you...and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!

Now get some sleep, dammit!!!:)