Spent the daylight hours savoring life with a few truly incredible friends.
Monica, Chairman, Al and I (with Beki briefly and assorted friends o’Al) spent the afternoon meandering through the San Genarro Festival in Hollywood, near Hollywood and Highland. And it was a delight for all of my senses. It is a festival of all things Italian – music, food, clothing, everything.
First, the scent. Walking up Highland, I could smell the garlic and spices. Although Monica and I had just eaten, trying to save money by not eating at the festival, I started to salivate as we got closer. Once we got into the festival, the salivary glands went into overdrive. Sausage, garlic, onion, pasta, tomato, pastry… I didn’t know where to look, where to smell, what to eat first. And we ate. Oh, my god, did we eat.
Monica and I found Al and Chairman joined us a short time later, as did Beki. We walked down the food-way and all of us picked up something to eat. Al and Chairman did a sausage thing that was to die for. Then Al picked up this almondy-nougat-y thing and I picked up some roasted corn on the cob. There was something else but I cannot remember what. My favorite memory of this afternoon is all of five us, each with some type of food in our hands, passing our food stuffs around, sharing nibbles of corn and sausage and canoli and not caring who bit into what and whether or not it was sanitary and whose spit was getting on the corn. It was the most amazing moment of just pure pleasure, sharing these things with friends, savoring life, savoring food, savoring our intimate connection. I loved that moment. I don’t know Beki very well and Al has been in and out of my life for the past 15 years but there was never a hesitation amongst any of about sharing our spoils. I loved that moment.
It was also not only wondrous for the taste buds, but for the touch as well. We all had sugar and butter and grease and sausage and stuff drooling down our arms and faces and hands. Much licking of fingers and smacking of lips was enjoyed. I still smell like corn and butter and sugar.


Then we found a table after Beki left and the four of us just sat and listened to an old Italian man sing old Italian songs somewhat badly but enthusiastically. We either traded stories or we just sat in silence, as good friends are wont to do. It was a treat for the ears, listening to the sounds and the corny music and the conversation around us.

As we sat, the sun shone down on us with just enough power to keep us warm and cozy as we tried to digest our feast. Some of Al’s friends joined us and we chatted for a while longer, enjoying the breeze that came up as the evening went along. Chairman had to leave us to go do his show tonight and much hugging and warmth was exchanged as he left. Monica and I left shortly thereafter, but not without stopping for even more corn and canolis and stuff on our way out. I won’t have to eat for a week.

Of course, tonight there is a party, where I will be heading shortly, after I lie on the floor for a while and try not to burst, keep Twyla company for a bit, and then try to wash off the scents of the afternoon.
But Monica and I agreed – this is what life is about. Savoring the life in front of you. Savoring the friendships and the experiences that you all bring to each other. I simply enjoyed savoring the simplicity of good friends, good food and good day. Sometimes, life gets to complicated, it’s hard to be grateful for the simplicity of existence without struggle. Today, most definitely was that kind of day.
Looking forward to more sensory stimulation tonight, as the party should have its own set of experiences. I hope I get enough reset between now and then to tackle some more savoring.
No comments:
Post a Comment