I’m a sucker for romantic comedy. I hate to admit it but I am. Good romantic comedy. Quirky romantic comedy.
“Truth About Cats and Dogs” is one of my favorites. I am Janeane Garofalo. Not so great a self-image. Don’t think any guy is gonna be interested in me. Crazy about someone who maybe doesn’t know it and is giving off things that make me thing he’s crazy about me but it’s so complicated. It makes me want Ben Chaplin to show up at my bedroom window with milk and cereal for breakfast.
“One Fine Day” is another one of my favs. Michele Pfeifer trying to hold her single mom life together and she collides with a crazy day and George Clooney… (sorry, got stuck on George Clooney). Anyway, they fight and they battle and they fall in love amidst the daily struggles of single parents. I want some guy to stand in my kitchen, just a breath away from me, almost kissing me, holding that moment, then saying, “I’m going to kiss you now.” Mmmmmmmm.
“Chasing Amy” is another one. Waaay quirky, especially the scar scene in the bar. Okay, so I’m bisexual or interested in girls in any way but I understand the complications that ensue when you think you want one thing but the guy isn’t sure. But it’s a crazy, loopy, mad sexy film and I’d love to lay on the floor with a guy, talk about our sexual past, and laugh our asses off.
“Love Actually” but I’ve already told you about that one.
“While You Were Sleeping” is another one. Sliding around on an icy sidewalk with a man that I love but can’t tell him I love him. Celebrating Christmas with his odd ball family. A diamond ring dropped through the slot of my toll booth. Okay, so I don’t have a toll booth but you get the idea.
Romantic comedies make me hopeful and set the bar way too high for any man to actually live up to. I realize Ben Chaplin or Dermot Mulroney or George Clooney are not going to show up at my door and sweep me off my feet. But then again, I am no Sandra Bullock or Michele Pfeifer. Maybe we can find a way to raise our hopes and lower the bar at the same time. All I ask is that you try. Just try and make things special. Not everything has to be special but a sweet, quirky, funny surprise every once in a while would do it, I think. I’m not that hard to please. Well, maybe occasionally I am but I’m trying to get better about that.
Anyway, consider the above as a AAA map to my heart. It gives you the basics. The rest are up to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment