Monday, March 12, 2007

I want a Superman

Men don’t want Wonder Woman.



They want the victims that Wonder Woman saves – the meek, mild, unambitious 25 to 30-year-olds who aren’t a threat and aren’t a challenge. Men admire Wonder Woman from a distance but are afraid to get too close to her, afraid that they’ll never be able to stand up to her superpowers. They are eager to have her around when they need her support and her help and her strength. But after that, Wonder Woman’s on her own. They’ll hover at her periphery, holding court, looking up to her, sleep with her if she’d let them, but when it comes to something more, there’s a man-shaped hole in the wall announcing their departure. But if Wonder Woman needs them or their support or their participation, they find an excuse and run to the victim, hiding behind her vulnerability and her fear and making sure that Wonder Woman can’t find them.

Wonder Woman is screwed.

I want Superman.



A man who is not afraid of my Wonder Woman-ness. A man with the balls to not be afraid of my super-powers and who is not going to use his gifts of evil instead of good. A Superman who knows when I need to be Wonder Woman and when I need to just be Lt. Diana Prince and let him be Superman and protect me and take care of me. I am tired of mere mortals like the OOMA and Cute Boy who don’t see the wonder that is me standing in front of them and who can’t handle a Wonder Woman in their life. Let them hole up somewhere protected and unreachable with the victims of the world while I keep up my search for a man to stand with me and be proud of the Wonder Woman I can be. A man who is just as strong, just as determined, just as ambitious as I am and who can handle my vulnerable days when being a superhero is just too much.

Because, days like today, I could use a Superman in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought Alex Ross did a fabulous job drawing Wonder Woman.

I think most men are afraid of their own Superman inside them, even though if you asked them they probably would deny it. I think they are afraid to become large and powerful. A lot of women are as well.

It's not that they don't have the capability. They just don't. And I know you're not saying you wouldn't accept a man's Clark Kent side, you just want the other one as well.

Stay strong. You will find what you seek...

Midlife Virgin said...

I love the concept that most men can be Superman, they just are afraid to. I think I've seen glimpses of Superman in these two particular men and that's probably what draws me to them. And you're right, I want both sides.

Patty Jean said...

I'm avoiding packing....

I loved this blog.