I don’t think I really mourned us. The loss of the entity that was us. I felt my broken heart for me but not for us.
Because us was something special at one time. We came together to build a life that was full of potential, full of possibility, full of future. There was a “we”. There was an “us”.
But that entity took over our individuality and us became something big and dark and heavy. The potential, the possibility, the future got stuck in the void as we lost ourselves into the expectation of what we should be. We folded ourselves into us and left ourselves behind.
And when it ended, I celebrated the death of us because us had become excruciatingly painful. Us was the entity that ate my soul. Us was something I couldn’t wait to no longer be a part of.
I didn’t see the corpse laying at my feet, battered and beaten and bleeding. I stepped over it and ignored it, pretending that my footprints weren’t left behind in the leftover viscera. I left that empty shell behind and never looked back.
Until tonight.
And finally, I am mourning.
I am mourning the loss of what we built. The loss of forever. The loss of the us that came to be.
I am mourning that there is nothing left between us but emptiness and hollowness and pain.
I am mourning that you are not here. And that I cannot let you be here. And that I can never let you be here again.
I am mourning that we won’t grow old together and see all of our imaginings come to fruition.
I am mourning the death of the love we once surely must have had. That barely a memory of that love has managed to survive. That it wasn’t enough to avoid this inevitable demise.
I am mourning the loss of you and the loss of me. That we gave so much to something that could not survive all the pressure, all the pain.
I am mourning that we didn’t stop long enough to try to avoid the end, that we didn’t see it, didn’t acknowledge it. That we just let it come and watched as the us that was us died.
I am mourning the loss of you because there is still a hole there where you should be. And it will never be filled.
There is nothing now to do but weep and pine and rend something to signify the loss. My heart has worn the rend for a long time but now it has surfaced and become real.
But from the mourning, maybe there can be healing. Maybe it will set me free and let me let us go. I can occasionally lay flowers on the grave. I can occasionally pause to acknowledge the loss. I can maybe finally put us behind me and truly move forward as only me.
6 comments:
You give words to many of us who have lived through a similar situation. For me, it starts with Thanksgiving. But I have to say that I am relieved to be divorced, and it did take me a long time to mourn the death of my marriage. I am happy now. It's a hard road and a lot of work and introspection that got me here, but I am better for the death and wouldn't have it any other way.
Strength to you.
I love your writing style!
Wishing you the best of health and happiness in 2011 !
Sincerely,
An occasional visitor!
I can relate because a close friend of mine has been dumped before.Used and misused and left for dead.Made to go against all his believes and principals,all but for love.He lost his dignity,reputation and self esteem,for something that was never meant to be.I am glad that he completely healed and that the lessons are all he has left.Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved.
Your words are so poetic yet very touching.Sorry for what it's worth.
Perhaps it is serendipitous I happened by here. I feel like I want out...after 25 years. And yet...
I am giving it a year. A year to miraculously turn. A year to avoid this corpse you describe so well, or a year to realize there is no avoiding it.
I am sorry for your loss and wishing you much comfort and peace when the grieving ends.
I really like the idea of mourning forever. I've lost that and can never get it back. I can never spend a lifetime with anyone. This scared and saddened me at first but now i'm on board with it. Time is still good, even if forevers are for other people.
This makes me so sad. I am about to become married in a few short months, and i am praying i never have to experince this, i dont think i would be as strong as you seem to be. i hope love finds you again soon.
Post a Comment