So I was told to anticipate my hair falling out on day 14 after my first chemo treatment... and they weren't kidding. On day 14, handfuls of hair started to go. I was devastated. This treatment has already taken away so much of my self-esteem, here was just one more blow to my already fragile ego. And, of course, I was worried about how the Filmmaker was going to take my baldness.
I will eventually learn not to worry about him. He offered to come over immediately and help shave my head. He and my friend, Tracy, came over and this is what happened:
Diary on YouTube
Joy. Tears. Laughter. Pain. Laughter. Whiskey. Laughter. Love. Love. Love.
This is what makes this process tolerable - love.
Enjoy.
3 comments:
Just got done watching this, you look fierce with the no hair look, it goes well with the Jameson! I was so happy to hear you are having minimal side effects from the Chemo, that's wonderful news. :) I am almost at the end of my cancer journey. I was all set to take the pill to stop my estrogen production when they found out I have a clotting issue so instead I get to go have an Oophorectomy (remove the ovaries and tubes), thankfully they do that via laproscopy so it should be pretty simple and I will be home that night. I am so impressed with your candor through all this, you are helping so many other women along the way. I look forward to your next update.
I just wanted to let you know that I recently discovered your blog and have been very touched by it. I'm going through breast cancer treatment as well - I'm not sure how I found your blog because I have for the most part avoided reading blogs and forums by women going through it right now. But apparently it was the right time for me to find yours, and I'm glad I did.
I admire your humor, strength, and honesty, and you're a great writer too. Our cancer treatment stories are somewhat similar, which of course caught my attention. I don't know anyone personally who is going through what I'm going through right now (I do know some women who have been there and done that and it's been great to talk with them) and I'm realizing that that is feeling pretty lonely.
Your hair video is what prompted me to leave a comment. Go Jameson! I did not video my head shaving, but I had a great friend with me who snapped some photos. Not sure if those will get printed, though... :-)
Although my diagnosis and treatment isn't a secret among friends and acquaintances, I have not shared it on Facebook, YouTube or with many clients (I'm a career coach). However I am writing a blog about it for friends to check out if they choose. It's at www.personalblog2012.blogspot.com.
Thank you for writing your story. I'll be continuing to follow it! (Oh, and I read a lot of the pre-diagnosis posts which are also very funny, insightful and just wonderful).
Heather
Thanks, Heather. Glad you found some comfort in my little blog. You could also go to Breastcancer.org. There are great discussion boards on there and they've given me lots of advice and laughs and a real community of women going through what I'm going through. Best of luck on your treatment and let me know how it's going!
Post a Comment