You’re going to break my heart… and I’m going to let you. Because apparently I haven’t learned how not to let someone break my heart yet.
It’s the same thing - I fall, you say you don’t. Yet you do. Yet you won’t. But I will.
And I’ll dream and I’ll want and I’ll wait.
And we’ll do this … whatever this is. This limbo, this nothing yet everything. This thing that leads nowhere yet we can’t not do it.
And we’ll be thisclose and this far. And then thiscloseagain.
And you’ll break my heart. And I know it.
But I can’t wrangle the want and the need and the hope. They all lead me down that inevitable road, where there is nothing at the end but nothing. You going this way, me going that. We’ll smile, we’ll hug, you’ll say we’re friends and we’ll always be friends.
And you’ll be gone. But you’ll linger in the pieces of my heart, where the ghosts of others come before live.
And I’ll go on and you’ll go on. And maybe you’ll remember and maybe you won’t. But I will. I’ll remember the talks and the poetry and the food and the laughter and the want. And you’ll be held dear deep inside, whether you want to be or not.
So I’ll let you break my heart because I don’t know how not to. And maybe next time, I’ll learn.
“This time I’m mistaken/for handing you a heart worth breaking.”
1 comment:
This was beautifully stated. My heart pitter patters. For it is he that I feel this way about/for.
Post a Comment