Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oh, crap, what do I do now?

I got kissed last night. I mean, KISSED. In the way you want to be kissed by someone you want to be kissed by. Good ‘n kissed.

It was nice.

It’s been more than six years since I’ve been kissed and that was by my ex-husband.

It was a good night of discovery and discussion as to what this new thing is between me and the Filmmaker. There’s actually something there and something going somewhere. Where, I don’t know yet but trying to just let it go and follow it and see where it leads.

It was a night of someone I really like saying all the things one wants someone to say. It was a night of gentle and sweet and funny and ease.

It was also one of the scariest fucking nights of my recent life.

The Filmmaker was sitting in this big chair, I was sitting on the arm, his hand gently stroking my thigh as he told me I was beautiful and I was sexy and I was fascinating. He held my hand and said all those things to me.

And the clowns in my head were screaming - “RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!”

Run because this might actually be something.

Run because it’s feeling so good and so awesome and so thrilling.

Run because it could be something amazing.

Run because it could end like all the others have ended.

Run because I want it so very much.

Part of me was fascinated, listening to the little bastards run around in my head, trying to distract me from the words that I longed to hear. Fascinated that I was afraid of this good thing, this wonderful thing, this darling man with his hand on my thigh. That all the disappointments, especially the recent one with the Poet, made me afraid to believe this gentle man and his gentle words. He couldn’t possibly be saying that he wanted me. That’s not possible. No one wants me.

I had a huge struggle within me, fighting the urge to flee, fighting the urge to gently pull away from his caress and go back into my quiet, isolated world, leaving him standing there, his desire hanging in the air.

And he gently watched me fight the urge, listened to me as I expressed the fear and the fright and the uncertainty of what to do, his hand never leaving my thigh, his eyes never leaving my face. And he finally smiled and just asked me what I wanted.

What I wanted.

And the clowns refrained, “RRRUUUUNNNNN!!”

But a tiny voice cut through all of that screaming. The teeniest, tiniest voice spoke out quietly, shyly, whispering softly from the corner.

“I want you.”

And I spoke to him in that tiny voice and explained that I heard him and, yes, it all sounded very good and I kept feeling his hand on my thigh and how good that felt.

And I didn’t run.

And, yes, I’m terrified. And I’m scared that this is going to be like the others, that I’ll be left on the side of the road, my heart nothing but roadkill, wondering how this all went so terribly wrong, how this wonderful man who I adored could be gone without a word, without a sound. And I’m scared that his sweet, gentle goodnight kiss will be the last one I’ll feel in a long time. I’m scared that it’s going to end in anger, with me broken and shattered and lost.

And I’m scared that it’s going to be none of that.

I’m scared that it will be right. That it will be something good, no matter how long or short it may be. I’m scared that his hand on my thigh will stay there and be as comfortable as it was last night. I’m scared that this might be something this time around, that this will be what I’ve been hoping it would be. I’m scared that my heart will open up and let him in and that his will do that as well.

But I’m facing that fear and instead of running away, I’m going to slowly tread into the deep, holding my heart out cautiously, to see what will happen if I let it go, if I let him take it. Because, for a change, this is a man who wants to take it and who is not afraid to say that.

And it scares the fuck out of me. In the best way possible.

6 comments:

anna said...

Since we haven't had the chance to talk yet, I was hoping for an entry! Wish granted!

You typed it all out, so you must see the difference: All the other times that left you battered, the men were unavailable. Either emotionally by never really saying what they were thinking, or physically since they were in other relationships.

This man is there, saying the things you hoped the others would say, saying things you thought you maybe, kinda, hopefully saw in the eyes of those others, but you never really knew for sure. Except for The Poet, who was honest, finally, but you still kind of didn't believe him and thought maybe he was just scared and maybe that was why and excuse excuse excuse that he didn't deserve you to make for him.

But now you see! Now you see that if they want you, they say it, they act on it, and it's nothing to be afraid of. It's all that you deserve.

A little caution, a little self-protection, going slow, these things might all be good and I support you, of course. But know now, this must be different because you aren't guessing intentions.

Maybe the scary part is having the "ball in your court." You, delightful control freak that you are, get to decide what happens next. To this I say, VOLLEY!

Patty Jean said...

I haven't checked in on you in awhile, and this is what I land on?!??!?

YOWIE!!!

Weee! Wonderful, wonderful!

Scary things are so thrilling, aren't they? Perfect for this time of year.

Embrace the fun, the thrill, and the scariness of it all. You are a rockstar and so deserving of GoodThings.

Midlife Virgin said...

Thanks, ladies, for the comments. Whatever this is, it's still in its baby steps and maybe it won't go any further than this. But at least there was this. And it's nice to be with a "man" as opposed to a boy. :) Stay tuned. Hopefully, there will be updates.

Josh said...

Wow.

I got here by random chance by mindlessy clicking the "next" button for new blogs.

So glad I did.

When's your book coming out? This is great stuff.

Midlife Virgin said...

Thanks, Josh, welcome to the party. I am seriously thinking about publishing so stay tuned!

Belinda said...

Don't be scared!! You are intelligent, lovely, and open to this new chapter. Its always a bit of a rollercoaster, starting any new relationship, but this is the good stuff, the time to enjoy and savor a new romance. What on earth is ever sweeter than those first few blissful months? Have FUN! You will feel like a teenager again in a way that few other life experiences transport you back to feeling young, giddy and optimistic. :-)