No matter who you cast the ballot for, make sure you cast it!
If you're like me and supporting Barack Obama, make sure you vote, even if you are sure he's going to win. He'll only win if we actually go in and punch the ballot or smack the computer or whatever the hell voting entails these days.
If you're voting for McCain, I won't hate you. That is the beauty of this country, we get to express our right and say this is who represents me.
I have friends who think that yelling at me and chastising me for my choice is somehow going to make me convert. I think a gentler approach is much better.
Weirdly enough, something at the movies yesterday really confirmed to me why voting No on Prop 8 is right. Don't throw "protect traditional marriage" at me. A "traditionally married" couple, who we're told is what voting "yes" will protect, brought their two toddlers, who we're told voting "yes" will protect, to "Zack and Miri Make a Porno" yesterday. So, the folks who are worried that gay marriage and information about two men or two women loving each other enough to desire to make vows together and create a union that is sanctioned by the law and by God and whomever else it's sanctioned by, will corrupt their children apparently didn't think that two hours of "fuck", "motherfucker", "cocksucker" and other words I won't use going into their children's ears and the sight of an extraordinary amount of almost pornographic sex apparently won't warp the minds of their five and six-year-old children. Hmmmm. Good argument.
So vote your heart, vote your soul, vote your conscience and embrace those who don't share your views. Celebrate the fact that we get to do this, that we get to say we don't agree and that we all get free Starbucks and Ben & Jerry's tomorrow!
1 comment:
Hi Sue, Strange I don't go to movies but I did go to Zack and Miri on Friday and I wouldn't let my kids go to it at all even for me to much swearing but I can also say that it was quite funny especially to see someone get "Frosted"...
Take care
S.
Post a Comment