Sunday, July 13, 2008

Don't hedge me out.

So what is it with men with girlfriends? Why don’t they want to tell you?

Cute Boy, who I still have a huge crush on, never admitted to having a girlfriend when we were having our most intense flirts. I found out through a friend of his. He didn’t admit it until I finally had to ask, and then he admitted he was flying across the country to see her. “Yeah, I guess it’s serious,” was his response when I asked him about it (her).

New Guy just did the same thing tonight. Have met a few times through a variety of things. Nice connection, nice flirting, nice guy. Three times we’ve had plenty of time to talk about many things. None of those times did the word “girlfriend” come from him. Tonight, after walking me to my car and spending a good half hour talking to me, he asked if I was going to see the show at the theater this weekend. I said, sure. He said, what night? There was a definite feeling of wanting to meet me there. I was just about to invite him to join me earlier for coffee or something – perfect opening to get some time with him to see if there’s anything there – and we got joking about how our cell phones have made us kind of stupid because we don’t know anybody’s numbers anymore because they’re in the phone and he said, “Yeah, like I don’t even know my girlfriend’s number…” Long, awkward pause. I almost kicked him in the shins and screamed, “Then explain all this flirting you’ve been doing, you ass.”

Are you guys just hedging your bets so that if things don’t work with the chick you’re with, you have one on deck? I am just the fall-back if your girl don’t do it for you anymore?

I have one thing to say – stop flirting with us! If you’re not going to date us, don’t give us the cute boy face and the flirty eyes. We think you’re flirting. We think you want us. We get all giddy at the thought that you find us attractive and maybe you want to be with us. Then you drop the “girlfriend” bomb and are surprised when we run screaming from the room.

Is it me? Am I so safe that you all think you can flirt with me and not think I’m going to get all gooshy inside? I hate to tell you but I’m not. I get gooshy, probably way too soon.

But mention the girlfriend immediately. Save us the days and nights of wondering about you and picturing you picking us up and taking us somewhere wondrous and beautiful and save us from naming our children and picking out the house. C’mon, you know you do that. It’s not just me.

If you have a girlfriend, save the flirting for her. Don’t waste it on me. I don’t have the time for this. Be nice, be friendly, flirt with me AFTER you tell me about your girlfriend so I can know that the flirting will be just friendly with nothing at stake and no hopes to be dashed.

And girlfriends, know that your boyfriends are out there flirting with us. Maybe they mean nothing by it – after all, men are a bit dense about the signals they’re sending. Maybe find a nice, polite way to inform them that harmless flirting doesn’t exist, especially when they don’t mention you to us. Explain to them that informing a cute girl about your girlfriend will make the flirting harmless. Otherwise, they deserve everything they get.

Men. Fuck.

4 comments:

alfredblog said...

maybe they're not flirting. i don't usually offer up to people that i'm an atheist, but its a huge part of who i am.
or maybe they are. boys are silly. throw rocks at them.

ByJane said...

Maybe it's none of those things. Maybe they are genuinely interested in you AND they have girlfriends. Maybe they just like to flirt. Maybe you give good flirt. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue for you if you weren't feeling so vulnerable right now. If the last one rings true in any way, you've just got to wait it out until you heal.

rayster57 said...

Hmmmmm,

Some people are just jerks. I was drawn to your blog by the title. I am 51 a widower and soon to be an empty nester. I believe I am experiencing the midlife crisis and it is wonderful, scarey, confusing, challenging, and anything but boring.

For me life now is about the doing. Afer years of chasing corporate success, I quit my job, started doing independent consulting, and wake up each day wondering what I can get into next.

At any rate thanks for your blog, and good luck with this journey.

Anonymous said...

Did Alfred and Jane read the same post I did? They are way out of line in my view.
The guy you described is an ass for sure. Totally unfair to you (not to mention the girlfriend). Perhaps he assumed you knew about the girlfriend. Anyway, yes he's a jerk.